If you think that finding the best remote-controlled helicopter is quite tough, then you probably have assumed that finding a remote control helicopter with a camera is much more difficult than that. You not only have to study the basic features of the helicopter under consideration, but you also need to make sure that the camera supplied with that helicopter meets all your requirements. Fortunately, there’s almost an overwhelming number of such models on the market, so the problem isn’t that you can’t find enough of them. It’s that selecting one that will be perfect for you can leave you with so many choices to go though. There is a whole range of such helicopters available designed to be fitted with a GoPro camera system, but there are also cheaper versions with proprietary inbuilt camera systems for video recording or photography. The basic models of helicopters with camera systems currently available on the market can be divided in two categories: helicopters (one main rotor) and quadcopters (four rotors). Some of the best picks, which are suitable for both amateurs and professionals, are discussed below.
The biggest selling point of this drone is the availability of six blades instead of four blades (four are quite common in the majority of the quadcopters available on the market). This drone is also much bigger in size in comparison to the Phantom drone provided by DJI, a particularly popular model. The retractable landing gear allows you to have a 360-degree view from the camera without any obstruction by the craft. This product comes ready to use and can be controlled by a handheld controller with a touchscreen to monitor the movement of the drone while flying.
- Latest GPS flight-control system for accurate positioning
- Comes with iLook high-definition camera with 1080 megapixels
- Hyper-intelligent orientation control to customize your flight radius
- Return-to-home function allows this drone to return back to the takeoff location at your command
- Offers 25-30 minutes of flying time on full batteries
- Option of installing GoPro or iLook camera for aerial photography
- Comes with a handheld FPV remote control with 5-inch LCD screen
- Some customers have some issues with the quality of manual provided in the package. Due to the lack of instructions, it is a little bit difficult for first-time users to figure out the basic operations
Conclusion: Overall, this is an exceptionally well-designed craft. It looks amazingly futuristic, but it can be difficult for new users to operate. Although all the advanced technology here has a definite allure, it results in a very high price. Save this model until you have some experience (if you’re a beginner).
This remote-controlled helicopter is quite suitable for all skill levels or operators who just want to have some fun with a craft that’s not too bulky to control. As this helicopter has an inbuilt high-resolution camera situated right under the cockpit, it is quite easy for you to take high-quality video footage or photographs. This camera is quite inconspicuous, allowing you to be quite discreet while filming. The video footage shot by this helicopter can be watched by using an SD card or USB adapter with your personal computer. This model comes in two color variants, red and black.
- Comes with a free 1GB MicroSD card
- Built-in camera has 640×380 resolution
- Built-in solid-state gyro for automatic stabilization; this craft is easy to control
- 5 channel control with 360-degree range of view
- Some of the people who reviewed this product had some problems with the instruction sheet provided; it’s not very clear
Conclusion: The Black Egofly Hawkspy LT-712 RC Helicopter is quite a good product for beginners to learn how to control a camera in the air. This machine performs quite well if used inside the house or another building, but it can be a little difficult to maneuver outside in less-than-ideal conditions. Make sure you use it on a warm, windless sunny day to practice.
This product is a basic drone that can be used for learning how to better maneuver one of these machines using a handheld remote-control device with an LCD screen. This product is not as powerful as some of the drones in the higher categories but it provides value for the money. The flying time with fully charged batteries spans from five to eight minutes and operates at a frequency of 2.4 GHz. This drone comes with a 4GB memory card that allows video footage recording of 30 minutes or 800 still photographs. This drone runs for an operational distance of 50 meters.
- Nice inbuilt HD camera
- 360-degree 3-D special functions including continuous rolling
- Flashlight for easy handling at night
- Six-Axis System allows strong stability, good wind resistance, and ease of control along with the ability to hand-launch this drone
- Comes with four extra propellers, a memory card of 2GB, a card reader, and three batteries
- Good technology for anti-interference functioning while flying multiple drones at the same time
- This product is quite easy to control and has a tremendous fun factor associated with it but the flying time is limited to only five minutes and you require extra batteries for continuous performance
Conclusion: It’s a good product in its price range but it is not suitable for professional drone flyers. Syma has optimized the programming in this model and the Syma X5C-1 2.4Ghz 6-Axis Gyro RC Quadcopter Drone comes out to be an upgraded version of this model for a little more money.
This product has a sleek design and inbuilt HD camera that can be adjusted during flight. Even though the design of this helicopter is quite eye-catching in itself, it comes designed for multiple upgrades if desired. The Haktoys® HAK635C helicopter is designed to perform for both indoor and outdoor use, and its 2.4 GHz three-channel transmission offers the longest range in its category.
- 5 channel radio control with built-in gyroscope for stability
- Adjustable flying speeds with slow and fast modes for extra control
- Intelligent remote control with 360-degree precise directional movement
- Comes with 1GB SD Card
- Availability of spare parts for upgrading
- Some of the people who used this product felt that this machine is not designed to be operated in light winds, as it gets tossed around easily
- Flying time of 6 to 8 minutes on fully charged batteries
Conclusion: This product is suitable for all age groups of flyers and is an excellent option if you’ve never used one of these crafts before. It is very easy to handle, but unfortunately, the battery life is not long at all. You may choose to upgrade your batteries, but this will come at an additional cost.
If you want to view footage as if you were present in the cockpit of your helicopter, then the GYRO Metal Nano Spy Copter Camera is a very good choice. This remote-controlled helicopter comes with an inbuilt high-resolution video camera that allows you to capture the most stunning aerial views. This helicopter also contains a gyroscope to provide stabilization automatically. The GYRO Metal Nano Spy Copter Camera comes ready to use; you can just load the remote control and charge the batteries and you are ready to go on a spy mission. It’s priced at $69.99.
- Built in solid-state gyro for incisive, 360-degree definite-direction movements
- High-resolution inbuilt camera with 640×480 pixel resolution
- 5 Channel radio control
- Comes with two spare main rotors and tail rotors
- Comes with 1GB MicroSD card
- Metal construction frame adds durability
- The controls of GYRO Metal Nano Spy Copter require a gentle touch and you must control the throttle gently. Once you get the hang of the throttle then you can opt for full speed
- Some of the users of this product felt that the instruction booklet provided with the kit is minimally helpful
- Flying time of 10 minutes on fully charged batteries
Conclusion: This helicopter has an outstanding ability to hover steadily, which allows better picture footage. You can also move it in all directions to catch the perfect angle for videos, too. At its current price, the GYRO Metal Nano Spy Copter is also a good choice for a beginner.
If you go through all the products listed above, you will find that if you are a professional or die-hard aerial videography enthusiast, you should opt for the top-rated machine. In this case, the Tali H500 (USA) DEVO F12E G-3D is the number-one option in terms of performance, and you can also grow into it if you’re a beginner. The only problem is its price. The Syma X5C-1 2.4Ghz 6-Axis Gyro RC Quadcopter Drone UAV with its unique design is the best choice for a quadcopter at this lower price range, although the battery life isn’t wonderful. Fortunately, it has a low enough cost that you can splurge on an extra battery or two and it won’t hurt your wallet. Lastly, the Gyro brand copter is excellent for beginners, although it’s a little more temperamental than you might prefer.